Just like your computer programs, new versions of WordPress and its plugins are developed all the time. For this reason, you should do regular updates to:
Keep up with the latest WordPress technology and enjoy more improved features.
Ensure your site is secure to prevent hackers from breaking into your prized website and wreaking havoc.
Automatically fix bugs and ensure your site is functioning error free.
How do you know when to update? WordPress will tell you!
Every time you login to WordPress you’re brought in to your Dashboard. Now, if you see a yellow bar at the top of your dashboard page, it’s time to update your version of WordPress.
Here’s how to automatically update your WordPress.
1. Click the “Please update now” link.
2. On the “WordPress Updates” page, click “Update Now” button.
3. That’s it. Your WordPress should now be updated to the latest version.
NOTE: If you’re updating from a very old version of WordPress, the software may require you to update the database. Simply click the “Update WordPress Database” then click “Continue” on the next page and you should be done.
You can automatically update all of your WordPress plugins. Here’s how:
1. Hover your mouse on “Dashboard” menu item then click “Updates“.
You can also simply click the update icon which should be visible above your WordPress dashboard. The number “12” indicates that you have 12 plugins and themes that needs to be updated.
2. Now, in this example it turns out that there are 11 plugins and 1 theme that is waiting for updates. To update all plugins in one go, simply check “Select All” box.
3. That’s it. Easy peasy. 🙂 You may return to WordPress updates page and update any theme to its latest version.